Re-Shape: A Method to Teach Data Ethics for Data Science Education
Re-Shape is a method designed to educate practitioners about the ethical responsibilities expected of them while they engage in data collection or using data for product design.
Framework of ethics used:
You will need:
Materials: Internet-enabled mobile phone
Participants: play as a team
Steps (Shapiro, 2022):
- Personal data collection –
- download the Viewranger app from Android/iPhone stores
- Record at least 2 days of physical movement data
- Data processing
- Use the GPS Visualizer platform to convert the GPX data to a CSV file
- Collaborative visualization
- Use a collaborative visualization tool to visualize the dataset.
- Encourage reflection among the participants on how they felt visualizing their personal data
Shapiro, B. R. (n.d.). Mapping Self in Society. Rydal Learning Sciences. Retrieved March 25, 2022, from https://www.benrydal.com/re-shape
This methods microsite is based off of analysis which is available in a preprint manuscript. Feel free to review our methodology and other details! We welcome your comments and feedback ! Please also use this form if you would like to suggest a method as an addition to the collection!