Values at Play
Values at Play presents initial steps toward the development of a systematic methodology for discovery, analysis, and integration of values in technology design.
Steps (from the Values at Play website):
- Values Discovery: Create a working list of relevant values from value sources including Project Goals, Hypotheses, Prior Work, Designer Values, User Values, and Other Stakeholder Values.
- Identifying Values-Based Conflicts: Check functional components for values conflicts.
- Implementation and Prototyping:
- Work through values conflicts generated in specific functional components.
- Categorize the prototype: In our case, we used a) game-play; b) technical; c) aesthetic; d) character; e) simulation; f) behavior.
- Formulate a specific question for each prototype.
- Work in iterative cycles with reflective review, involving participants, such as design partners, to incorporate ongoing feedback.
- Values Verification: From the list of initial and emergent project values, verify that desired project values are embedded in the project and others are not.