Design with Intent
Design with Intent is a toolkit card deck and worksheet set, designed for a team of practitioners to approach design and research through intentional exploration of people’s behavior across digital and physical spaces and objects (Design with Intent, 2022) .
Framework of ethics used:
You will need:
Materials: Card deck
Participants: A team of 1-40 people
Steps: (Lockton, 1970):
- Lay out all the cards, grouped by lens (or each of the worksheets)
- Go through each lens identifying whether the questions inspire any concepts for addressing your problem
- A group discussion can unify, organize, and refine the ideas.
- As a group analyze existing examples by using patterns to draw out some behavior-influencing principles behind products, services, or environments you are familiar with
- Pick two random patterns and think about the possibilities of applying the ideas to your problem, both individually and together.
*idea: you can put a card up in your work space weekly as a conversation starter
- Polya, G. (1945). PDF. Princeton University Press.
- ‘The Design with Intent Method: a design tool for influencing user behaviour’. Applied Ergonomics Vol.41 No.3, pp. 382-392, May 2010, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2009.09.001
- Lockton, D. (1970, August 4). Design with intent. Retrieved January 28, 2022, from https://designwithintent.co.uk/
This methods microsite is based off of analysis which is available in a preprint manuscript. Feel free to review our methodology and other details! We welcome your comments and feedback ! Please also use this form if you would like to suggest a method as an addition to the collection!