Ethical Contract is part of the Ethics for Designers Toolkit consisting of a worksheet, designed for a team of designers and stakeholders to list their main ethical objectives, responsibilities, main design goal and sign to commit to these above listed items. This method continues based on the Ethical Disclaimer method.
Materials: Completed Ethical Disclaimer Worksheet (links to another method), Ethical Contract Worksheet, pens
Steps (from Gipsen, 2017):
Using the worksheet, follow the process:
- Explain your completed ethical disclaimer to all involved stakeholders.
- Go through the unethical situations and collect important ethical themes. Collectively define these themes for this project.
- Discuss who is responsible for each situation. Write everyone’s responsibilities down.
- Formulate three main ethical objectives everyone agrees on. Make sure everyone knows what they mean.
- Write down (an updated version of) the design goal as agreed upon by all stakeholders.
- Place your signatures to commit to the design goal and ethical objectives.