Difficulty Level:Design Phase:
Designing is never a solitary act. Therefore it is important that everyone is on the same page. This technique guides you in a value negotiation with all stakeholders involved in order to find common ethical ground.
Framework of ethics used
Participants: Design Team, Stakeholders
Materials Needed: Ethical Themes, An Ethical Disclaimer, Responsibilities
- Explain your disclaimer to all involved stakeholders.
- Go through the unethical situations and collect important ethical themes. Collectively define these themes for this project.
- Discuss who is responsible for each situation. Write everyone’s responsibilities down.
- Formulate three main ethical objectives everyone agrees on. Make sure everyone knows what they mean.
- Write down (an updated version of) the design goal as agreed upon by all stakeholders.
- Place your signatures to commit to the design goal and ethical objectives.
Jet Gispen. 2017. Ethical Contract. https://www.ethicsfordesigners.com/ethical-contract.