Model for Informed Consent Online
Model for Informed Consent is an approach for designing informed consent for online products and services. The method was developed to achieve five goals when interfacing with users including, disclosure, comprehension, voluntariness, competence, and agreement.
Participants: Team (5+ participants)
Steps (from a publicly accessible academic paper):
- Decide whether the capability is exempt from Informed Consent.
- Take care when invoking the sanction of implicit consent for Web-based.
- Put users in control of the “nuisance factor”.
- Avoid technical jargon.
- Provide the user choices in terms of potential effects rather than in terms of technical mechanisms.
- Field test to help ensure adequate comprehension and opportunities for agreement.
- Design proactively for informed consent.