Timelines: A World-Building Activity for Values Advocacy
Timelines is a design activity created for an individual or group of technology professionals to engage in perspective-taking scenarios that form discussions about ethics and values in technology.
Materials: Paper and/or whiteboard, Post-It Notes, index cards, Sharpies, markers
Steps (from the publicly available academic paper):
- Decide on an artifact—a technology, system, or feature—that you want to explore.
- Brainstorm stakeholders on index cards—someone who is related to the artifact, either directly or indirectly.
- Using sticky notes, brainstorm potential news headlines related to the artifact.
- Take turns to place the headlines on the large shared timeline triangle to create stories of events related to the artifact.
- Return to the stakeholder index cards from Step 2. Brainstorm possible social media posts from situated points of view of different stakeholders.
- Share your social media posts, and shift into a broader discussion to reflect on insights from the activity.